[DFTB-Plus-User] DFTB+MPI-NEGF on SLURM

Alessandro Pirrotta alessandro.pirrotta at chem.ku.dk
Thu Apr 9 09:07:36 CEST 2015

Dear DFTB+ users,

I am having a problem running the DFTB+ on SLURM.
When I am connected to the front end of my account in my university
computer cluster, the executable runs correctly: I have run the test and
only 2 tests failed
(
======= spinorbit/EuN =======
electronic_stress    element              0.000101791078878           Failed
stress               element              0.000101791078878
Failed
)

When I submit a job with SLURM and I execute normally ./dftb+ I get a MPI
error (see below).
If I run "mpi -n 1 dftb+" the job runs correctly over a node and a single
core.
*How do I run dftb+ over a single node, using n cores?*

[bhc0141:20956] [[64086,1],0][grpcomm_pmi_module.c:398:modex]
PMI_KVS_Commit failed: Operation failed
It looks like MPI_INIT failed for some reason; your parallel process is
likely to abort.  There are many reasons that a parallel process can
fail during MPI_INIT; some of which are due to configuration or environment
problems.  This failure appears to be an internal failure; here's some
additional information (which may only be relevant to an Open MPI
developer):

  orte_grpcomm_modex failed
  --> Returned "Error" (-1) instead of "Success" (0)
[bhc0141:20956] *** An error occurred in MPI_Init
[bhc0141:20956] *** on a NULL communicator
[bhc0141:20956] *** Unknown error
[bhc0141:20956] *** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL: your MPI job will now abort
An MPI process is aborting at a time when it cannot guarantee that all
of its peer processes in the job will be killed properly.  You should
double check that everything has shut down cleanly.

  Reason:     Before MPI_INIT completed
  Local host: bhc0141
  PID:        20956

Kind regards,