[DFTB-Plus-User] infrared and infrared intensities?

Benjamin Hourahine benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
Fri Jan 7 15:14:18 CET 2011

Hello Marcus,

there is a tool for diagonalizing the mass weighted Hessian on the DFTB+ site
(called modes), this can give you the normal modes.

You could estimate the transition dipole moment using the Mulliken charges,
but you need localized modes for this approximation to be valid (and take care
about periodic boundary condition wrap-around, as this would cause a jump in the value).
The more rigorous method to calculate dipole transitions uses the position of Wannier function
centres (or several other equivalent methods), and is a long time away from being available,

Regards

Ben