[DFTB-Plus-User] SpinPolarised with the xTB Hamiltonian

Reinaldo Pis Diez reinaldo.pisdiez at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 00:08:05 CEST 2022

Dear folks,

I'm using dftb+, rel 22.1 (from the binaries, not compiled by myself) to
see the behavior of xTB in transition metal systems with unpaired
electrons.

I'm a bit confused about how to specify the number of unpaired electrons
when the xTB method is used. I tried 'SpinPolarisation = Colinear' and the
number of unpaired electrons inside that block, but I got an error message
stating  'Missing child: SpinConstants'.

When I add a (fictitious) SpinConstants block, both with and without
ShellResolvedSpin, the same message as above is delivered by the program.
It seems that the block is being ignored but, at the same time, is needed
by the program.

In summary, can I do xTB calculations on magnetic systems using dftb+? And
most important, if yes, is it possible to set RelaxTotalSpin to Yes?

Thanks in advance for your help. Regards,

Reinaldo