[DFTB-Plus-User] R: Transport calculation with gate field.

Alessandro Pecchia alessandro.pecchia at cnr.it
Wed Jun 22 12:54:22 CEST 2022

Dear Anshu,

in most cases a simple transverse electric field is not quite the same as an electrostatic gate. It is true that a gate pad generates an 'almost' uniform electric field in its vicinity, but what matters more for electronic devices is the potential shift induced with respect to the other contacts. This is what actually makes a FET working, e.g. opening and closing the transport channel.

So, in practice, if you are interested on S/D transport like in a FET configuration then you should simulate the presence of a gate.

In dftb+ you can set a planar gate (see manual) in the x-z plane (field along the y plane). Pay also some attention on how you set the boundary conditions at the contacts. Compare the default with BoundaryRegion options.

Regards,

Alessandro