[DFTB-Plus-User] DFTB+ incorrect density in MD for water

Luca Babetto luca.babetto at greenenergystorage.eu
Fri Jun 17 14:47:15 CEST 2022

Dear all,

I'm trying to run a MD simulation on a water box using the 3ob parameter set. I constructed a 200 molecules water box with packmol and I used the following input file to run the MD simulation:
Geometry = GenFormat {
  <<< "water_bulk.gen"
}

Driver = VelocityVerlet{
  TimeStep [fs] = 1.0
  Thermostat = NoseHoover {
    Temperature [Kelvin] = 298
    CouplingStrength [cm^-1] = 3200
  }
  Barostat = {
    Pressure [Pa] = 101325.0
    TimeScale [ps] = 0.01
  }
  Steps = 400000
  MovedAtoms = 1:-1
  MDRestartFrequency = 1000
}

Hamiltonian = DFTB {
  Scc = Yes
  SlaterKosterFiles = Type2FileNames {
    Prefix = "3ob/3ob-3-1/"
    Separator = "-"
    Suffix = ".skf"
  }
  kPointsAndWeights = { 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 }
  MaxAngularMomentum {
    O = "p"
    H = "s"
  }
}

Options {}

ParserOptions {
  ParserVersion = 11
}
I'm using periodic conditions with a 18.32 Angstrom box, for a starting cell volume of 6411.22 Angstrom^3 and a starting density of 973.75 g/L. I know I'm using a relatively low TimeScale value for the barostat, but I just wanted to quickly equilibrate the system and then run a production simulation.

My problem is that with these settings, the box keeps expanding and thus the density keeps decreasing. I stopped the simulation after 100ps because I saw that the volume kept expanding (linearly, with no sign of reaching an equilibrium value) until a final value of 6460.63 Angstrom^3, for a density of 926.06 g/L which is just too far away from the experimental value for me to use.

Am I using some incorrect settings? Is there a problem with the barostat, or maybe with the 3ob parametrization? Is DFTB simply not designed to reprocude the correct density for a water box so I should just set the "correct" volume and run NVT? Any pointer is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Let me know if you need more information on my calculation setup,

Kind regards

Luca

--

Luca Babetto, Ph.D.

Research Scientist

[cid:76cce7ff-d390-4fdd-8a1c-c2c647c3eb7d]

+39 0461 312360
luca.babetto at greenenergystorage.eu<mailto:matteo.fedeli at greenenergystorage.eu>
greenenergystorage.eu<http://greenenergystorage.eu/>

Green Energy Storage Via Sommarive, 18 c/o Fondazione Bruno Kessler 38123 Povo (TN) - Italy

INFORMATIVA SUL TRATTAMENTO DEI SUOI DATI PERSONALI (art. 13 del D. Lgs. 196/2003)

Il Suo indirizzo di posta elettronica è st

ato acquisito ed è utilizzato da Green Energy Storage Srl, Titolare del trattamento, esclusivamente per finalità di comunicazione diretta, o dell'espletamento dell’incarico professionale o commerciale ricevuto o intrattenuto. I dati personali contenuti nei messaggi di posta elettronica possono essere trattati, solo a fini tecnici, anche da società informatiche terze delle quali green Energy Storage utilizza i servizi. Poiché spesso tali società hanno i loro server in Europa e negli Stati Uniti, i dati personali possono essere trasferiti sia verso Paesi dell’Unione Europea che verso paesi fuori di essa comunque nel pieno rispetto di quanto prescritto dal Titolo VII del D. Lgs. 196/2003 (Trasferimento dei dati all'estero). Se desidera che il Suo indirizzo di posta elettronica venga rimosso dal nostro archivio, ovvero per l'esercizio dei diritti di cui all'art. 7 del suddetto D. Lgs., può rivolgersi a Green Energy Storage , Via alla Cascata, 56/C - 38123 –Povo (TN), o all’indirizzo info at greenenergystorage.eu<mailto:info at greenenergystorage.eu>. Per una visione completa dell'informativa sul trattamento dei dati personali, La invitiamo a collegarsi alla seguente pagina del nostro sito www.greenenergystorage.eu<http://www.greenenergystorage.eu/>: Privacy

The information included in this e-mail and in any attachments is strictly confidential and is addressed exclusively to the intended recipient. If you are not the recipient, you are kindly requested to delete the e-mail and all attached documents and to notify the sender immediately by e-mail.

INFORMATION ON PERSONAL DATA PROCESSING (Art. 13 of Italian Legislative Decree No. 196/2003)

Your e-mail address has been acquired and is used by Green Energy Storage, who is the processing entity, exclusively for the purpose of direct communication with you or with regard to a current professional or business task or relationship. The personal data included in e-mail messages may be processed for merely technical purposes also by third-party IT companies providing services to Green Energy Storage. Since the servers of such companies are often located in Europe and in the United States, personal data may be transferred both to European Union countries and to non-European countries but in any case in full compliance with the provisions of Italian Legislative Decree No. 196/2003, Title VII (cross-border data transfer). Should you wish to remove your e-mail address from our database pursuant to Art. 7 of the above-mentioned Italian Legislative Decree, you may send a request to Green Energy Storage Srl,in Via alla Cascata , 56/C - 38123 – Povo (TN), e-mail address info at greenenergystorage.eu<mailto:info at greenenergystorage.eu> . Please view our full privacy and personal data processing policy on our website www.greenenergystorage.eu<http://www.greenenergystorage.eu> : Privacy<http://www.sib.it/en/privacy-policy.html>