[DFTB-Plus-User] Mismatch in repulsive potential for Ga-C and C-Ga in hyb set

Hofer, Thomas T.Hofer at uibk.ac.at
Wed May 4 10:46:39 CEST 2022

Dear developers, Dear DFTB users

Recently, I have been experimenting with the hyb extension to the mio set, in particular the Ga - S - O - C - H interactions.

When executing some test calculations including Ga and C, dftbplus raises an error highlighting a mismatch in the Ga-C and C-Ga repulsive interactions. When checking the repulsive entries in the skf-files they are indeed different.

Next, we overlaid the two different functions for visualization, but they are entirely different, especially in the exponential range, but also in the regime of the spline functions. Based on the entries in the skf-files it is difficult to figure out, whether the Ga-C or C-Ga entry is the correct one. Inside the skf-file some contact information from 2007 is given, but it appears the respective person is not active anymore at this particular institution (and a web-search cannot determine the current affiliation. I am not sure this person is still active in academia...).

My hope is that someone receiving this mailing list has been involved in the parametrization of the Ga-C / C-Ga interactions, or at least knows someone who can can help to resolve this point.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Thomas Hofer

Sidenotes: i) It is mentioned in both skf-files that the "CGa_4H_8" test system is well reproduced by the DFTB parametrization. I already tried to re-create this test, however,  I don't even know the exact structure of this molecule... Is the carbon tetrahedrally occupied by four -GaH_2 residues, or is the Ga also forming some strange H-linked motif as for instance seen in B2H6? I run some DFT reference calculations to figure out the correct structure, but B3LYP bond distances don't fit to the DFTB reported in the skf-files and PBE is producing pure garbage, i.e. in this case these strange H-linked Ga...Ga interactions appear.

ii) I already tried to generate two different "hyb" sets by employing either the one or the other repulsive potential in both the Ga-C and C-Ga files, but also this did not help to discrminate, which repulsive entry is the correct one.

/---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
assoc. Prof. Dr. Thomas Hofer
Department for Theoretical Chemistry
Institute of General, Inorganic and Theoretical Chemistry
Innrain 80-82
University of Innsbruck
6020 Innsbruck
Austria