[DFTB-Plus-User] older versions of dftb+

Bálint Aradi aradi at uni-bremen.de
Mon Feb 12 08:37:16 CET 2018

Dear Sharma,

> My intention is to develop in Dftb+. As older versions will have
> fewer functionalities, I believe it will be easier for me to
> understand the structure and evolution of the code.

I am happy to hear, that you intend to develop DFTB+. Welcome on board! :-)

As for easiness of development, believe or not, the most recent version
of DFTB+ is definitely easier to extend as any earlier versions of it.
There had been a lot of refactorings and cleaning up during last year,
exactly in order to make sure that people can contribute to the code as
easily as possible. Just have a look at it and see it for yourself.

Also, if you extended any older version of the code, you would not be
able to share it with anybody due to the old restrictive license. Now,
with the Lesser GPL licensing, terms of sharing and distributing are
well defined, and everybody can easily profit from your efforts. In case
your development is of wide interest (and your code is well written), it
would be even easily possible to integrate it into the official DFTB+,
so that all DFTB+ users get access to it immediately. Just make sure,
that you use git as your development tool and follow the workflow
described in our developers guide:

http://dftbplus-develguide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

And finally, if even the shiny new reorganised code seems to be too
complicated or unlogical sometimes, you already know, where you can ask
questions about it. :-)