[DFTB-Plus-User] Compiling DFTB+ on Mac OS 10.9

Bálint Aradi balint.aradi at bccms.uni-bremen.de
Fri May 30 15:09:24 CEST 2014

Dear Jonathan,

> And can’t seem to figure out the issue. If you don’t want to follow the
> link, this is the error I’m getting:
>
> Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
> linkedlist.f90:2279.4:
>
>     ASSERT    (lenVal >= list%length * lenElem)
>     1
> Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)
>
> The is the output I obtain from the $ cpp —version command:
>
> cii-wl-183:prg_dftb jowens$ cpp --version
> Apple LLVM version 5.1 (clang-503.0.40) (based on LLVM 3.4svn)
> Target: x86_64-apple-darwin13.2.0
> Thread model: posix

Apparently, your CPP preprocessor could not substitute for the macro
ASSERT. Probably (guessing!) because of the spaces between macro name
and paranthesis, which the GNU-CPP usually does not mind. Two possible
options come to my mind:

* use the CPP preprocessor which comes with the GNU-compiler

* try to fix the code by replacing the dubious macros. Attached you find
a small Python script. You should go to the main folder of dftb+ (the
one containing the subdirectories src, autotest, etc.) and copy the file
there. Then issue

python ./remove_space_in_macros.py

It should replace all dubious cases (it will report which files were
affected). If compilation works afterwards, please let me know, I'd then
remove the spaces also in the offical version.

http://www.bccms.uni-bremen.de/cms/people/b_aradi/