[DFTB-Plus-User] DFTB+NEGF device geometry definition for non-contiguous atoms

anz118466 at cse.iitd.ac.in anz118466 at cse.iitd.ac.in
Wed Apr 30 14:51:39 CEST 2014

Dear Gabriele,

Thank you for the input. It makes sense now. The convergence does take a
lot of cycles. I will simulate with (FirstLayerAtoms =  1) for now. Hope
it works...

I shall also try to implement your scheme on the side. Waiting for your
scripts!

Kind Regards,
Anusha

> On 04/29/2014 07:18 PM, anz118466 at cse.iitd.ac.in wrote:
>> Dear Gabriele,
>>
>> Thank you for such a lucid explanation of PL definition :) It did help
>> clear few doubts of mine.
>>
>> Actually, I did simulate with (FirstLayerAtoms =  1) for my system. The
>> slow convergence, however, made me wonder if I am doing it right. My
>> system has a protein molecule on a GNR and is easily 1000+ atoms big. I
>> think partitioning it would speed up the convergence.
>
> Dear Anusha,
>
> if 'slow convergence' means that you need a lot of SCC cycles,
> partitioning will not change it (the number of SCC steps does not depend
> on partitioning) but a single SCC step will be faster.
>
> How effective the partitioning will be, it depends on the geometry of
> your system. A big elongated molecule on top of the ribbon is not a very
> fortunate case.
>

>> I did not completely understand the script's function to identify blocks
>> for partitioning the device. Kindly elaborate.
>
> Basically you have to parse the coordinates of all the device atoms and
> reorder them in the transport direction in a new .gen file.
> Then you can define a cutoff distance such that the Nth PL index is
> given by the first atomic index such that its coordinate falls within
> (N-1)*cutoff and N*cutoff. I have some scripts I'd like to make public
> but you have to wait a bit.
>
> Gabriele
>

>> Best Regards,
>> Anusha
>>

>>> Dear Anusha,
>>>
>>> the construction rule to define a valid PL is the following: there
>>> should be non-zero interactions only between adjacent PLs. Therefore
>>> some kind of 1D partitioning is usually possible for any transport
>>> geometry. Note that the PLs in the device region do not need to have
>>> the
>>> same size.
>>>
>>> The definition of PLs in the contacts is crucial and needs to be
>>> ensured. This point is usually easy because the contacts should be
>>> given
>>> by a semi-infinite bulk structure. Partitioning in the device region is
>>> not mandatory, but it is useful to take advantage of the iterative
>>> scheme, speed up the calculation and decrease the memory usage. In line
>>> of principle, you can define a single PL containing all the device
>>> atoms
>>> (FirstLayerAtoms =  1), and if the system is small enough the code