[DFTB-Plus-User] DFTB+NEGF device geometry definition for non-contiguous atoms

Gabriele Penazzi gabriele.penazzi at bccms.uni-bremen.de
Wed Apr 30 09:53:06 CEST 2014

On 04/29/2014 07:18 PM, anz118466 at cse.iitd.ac.in wrote:
> Dear Gabriele,
>
> Thank you for such a lucid explanation of PL definition :) It did help
> clear few doubts of mine.
>
> Actually, I did simulate with (FirstLayerAtoms =  1) for my system. The
> slow convergence, however, made me wonder if I am doing it right. My
> system has a protein molecule on a GNR and is easily 1000+ atoms big. I
> think partitioning it would speed up the convergence.

Dear Anusha,

if 'slow convergence' means that you need a lot of SCC cycles,
partitioning will not change it (the number of SCC steps does not depend
on partitioning) but a single SCC step will be faster.

How effective the partitioning will be, it depends on the geometry of
your system. A big elongated molecule on top of the ribbon is not a very
fortunate case.

> I did not completely understand the script's function to identify blocks
> for partitioning the device. Kindly elaborate.

Basically you have to parse the coordinates of all the device atoms and
reorder them in the transport direction in a new .gen file.
Then you can define a cutoff distance such that the Nth PL index is
given by the first atomic index such that its coordinate falls within
(N-1)*cutoff and N*cutoff. I have some scripts I'd like to make public
but you have to wait a bit.

Gabriele