[DFTB-Plus-User] DFTB-MD with surfaces and amorphous materials

Bálint Aradi balint.aradi at bccms.uni-bremen.de
Fri Jun 21 10:58:21 CEST 2013

Dear Vanessa,

> (1) Can DFTB+ be used to perform MD simulations with surfaces? I gather
> from one of the example MD simulations, 'SiH-surface', that comes with the
> latest version (v 1.2.2) that DFTB+ is capable of performing simulations
> with surfaces. However, when I tried a simple test, in which I took the
> input from a well-behaved DFTB-MD simulation and increased the lattice
> vector along the z-axis (to reflect a surface), I found that the first time
> step of the simulation doesn't converge. (See input below. I'm using
> version 1.2.2.) Am I correct about my assumption that DFTB+ can perform
> DFTB-MD simulations with surfaces? If so, what might I be doing incorrectly?

Yes it can. One of the possible problem with your approach is, that you
just "tear" your structure apart (by increasing the z-lattice vector),
so that you end up with a lot of dangling bonds. In that case, setting
the electronic temperature to 1 K is not enough, you are warrantied to
get serious SCC/SCF convergense problems with any electronic structure
method. Settig a higher electronic temperature (e.g. 300 K or above)
could solve the issue.

> (2) My other somewhat related question is about whether or not DFTB+ is
> appropriate to perform DFTB-MD simulations with amorphous systems. I assume
> that this is true if the system is treated as a non-periodic (or "cluster")
> system, but is it possible to treat them as a periodic system?

Sure you can. Again, DFTB is nothing special in that regard, you can do
it with it as with any other code having periodic boundary conditions.

http://www.bccms.uni-bremen.de/cms/people/b_aradi/