[DFTB-Plus-User] Help on melting quartz to obtain amorphous silica

Ben Hourahine benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
Wed May 22 09:42:54 CEST 2013

Hello,

melting tends to proceed from defects, so its quite possible that your
annealing never left the free energy
minima of the perfect crystal (just ending up super-heating the
crystobalite structure above its melting
point and then cooling down again). Did you look at the structure at
high temperatures?

Regards

Ben

--
       Dr. B. Hourahine, SUPA, Department of Physics,
     University of Strathclyde, John Anderson Building,
     +44 141 548 2325, benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk

   Strathclyde 2012 THE Awards UK University of the Year

    The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body,
         registered in Scotland, number SC015263