[DFTB-Plus-User] Spin polarize calculation in DFTB

Bálint Aradi balint.aradi at bccms.uni-bremen.de
Thu Sep 13 11:35:04 CEST 2012

Dear Soumyajyoit,

> I am a beginner of DFTB+ code. I have some queries regarding the
> collinear spin polarize calculation. In this case we need  to specify
> number of unpaired electron as input. During the calculation this number
> is kept constant. So it is like a fix spin moment calculation. Is there
> an option so that the spin moment can vary during the calculation ?
> e.g. for a system where I do not know the magnetic  moments before hand
> how should I proceed ? I tried to look into previous discussions in
> forum but could not find any answer.

Currently, in the collinear case the spin moment is kept fix during the
calculation. You can just try different settings to find the optimum.
Alternatively, you could run non-collinear spin calculations, where the
spin moment varies freely during the calculation.

http://www.bccms.uni-bremen.de/cms/people/b_aradi/