[DL] Call for Submissions - VCLA Awards 2018 for Master and Bachelor theses (deadline: 15 March)
mihaela.rozman at tuwien.ac.at
Sun Mar 4 22:36:33 CET 2018
VCLA International Student Awards 2018 in Memory of Helmut Veith
The Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms of TU Wien (Vienna University of Technology), calls for the nomination of authors of outstanding theses and scientific works in the field of Logic and Computer Science, in the following two categories:
· Outstanding Master Thesis Award
· Outstanding Undergraduate Thesis Award (Bachelor thesis or equivalent, 1st cycle of the Bologna process)
The main areas of interest are:
* Computational Logic, covering theoretical and mathematical foundations such as proof theory, model theory, algorithmic lower and upper bounds, Boolean satisfiability (SAT), QBF, constraint satisfaction, satisfiability modulo theories, automated deduction (resolution, refutation, theorem proving), non-classical logics (substructural logics, multi-valued logics, deontic logics, modal and temporal logics), computational complexity (complexity analysis, parameterized complexity, decomposition methods).
* Databases and Artificial Intelligence, concerned with logical methods for modeling, storing, and drawing inferences from data and knowledge. This includes subjects like query languages based on logical concepts (Datalog, variants of SQL, XML, and SPARQL), novel database-theoretical methods (schema mappings, information extraction and integration), logic programming, knowledge representation and reasoning (ontologies, answer-set programming, belief change, inconsistency handling, argumentation, planning).
* Verification, concerned with logical methods and automated tools for reasoning about the behavior and correctness of complex state-based systems such as software and hardware designs as well as hybrid systems. This ranges from model checking, program analysis and abstraction to new interdisciplinary areas such as fault localization, program repair, program synthesis, and the analysis of biological systems.
The award is dedicated to the memory of Helmut Veith, the brilliant computer scientist who tragically passed away in March 2016, and aims to carry on his commitment to promoting young talent and promising researchers in these areas.
The Outstanding Master Thesis Award is accompanied by a prize of € 1200, and the Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award by a prize of € 800.
Additionally, the winners will be invited to present their work at an award ceremony during the Federated Logic Conference (FLoC) 2018 in Oxford.
The degree must have been awarded between November 15th 2015 and December 31st 2017. Students who obtained the degree at TU Wien are excluded from the nomination.
Submission deadline: March 15, 2018 (anywhere on Earth)
Notification of decision: End of May 2018
Award ceremony: July 2018 (during FLoC, details to be announced)
For nomination instructions, please visit <http://logic-cs.at/award-call-2018/> http://logic-cs.at/award-call-2018/
Kindly address all inquiries to <mailto:award at logic-cs.at> award at logic-cs.at
VCLA Award Chairs 2018
Robert Ganian (committee co-chair)
Magdalena Ortiz (general chair)
Revantha Ramanayake (committee co-chair)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the dl