[DL] IAOA Summer Institute on Upper Ontologies: Call for Participation (Aug 8-11, 2017, Toronto, Canada)
frank.loebe at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Fri Jun 2 10:18:13 CEST 2017
The International Association for Ontology and its Applications (IAOA) is announcing the 2017 Summer Institute:
August 8-11, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Within the Applied Ontology community, upper ontologies are widely recognized as tools to support the tasks of ontology design and semantic integration. At the first Ontology Summit in 2006, the designers of several prominent upper ontologies were joined by key ontology technology participants, with the purpose of finding a means to relate the different ontologies to each other. In the decade since that meeting, the development and application of upper ontologies has continued, yet many challenges remain.
The 2017 IAOA Summer Institute will explore the following topics:
- What are the foundational choices and the practical motivations of present upper ontologies?
- What is the range of concepts that should be covered in an upper ontology?
- What are the relationships among upper ontologies?
- How do we evaluate upper ontologies?
- Using upper ontologies for semantic integration
- Using upper ontologies for ontology design
- Discussion of proposals for ISO 21838 (Top-Level Ontologies): content and consensus-building methodology
Nicola Guarino (Institute of Cognitive Sciences and Technologies)
Barry Smith (University at Buffalo)
Michael Gruninger (University of Toronto)
Participants from all sectors of applied ontology are invited to interact from August 8 to 11, in Toronto, Canada. As always, the Summer Institute will challenge the state of the art through lively discussions and hands-on problem solving rather than lengthy presentations.
The registration fee will be 500 CAD (350 Euros).
A limited number travel and attendance grants are available for students.
Contact: Michael Gruninger
More information about the dl