[DFTB-Plus-User] Confusion regarding the installation of DFTB+ with Intel compilers

Bálint Aradi aradi at uni-bremen.de
Thu Nov 17 08:02:38 CET 2022

Dear Anupriya,

The issues may come from the threading. You have probably way more
threads on your node, than your problem would scale up to. Intel
compiled binaries with the MKL-library tend to use all threads, unless
you tell them differently. GNU-compiled binaries with OpenBlas tend to
use one thread unless you tell them differently.

When you compare run times between binaries, make sure to set the
environment variable OMP_NUM_THREADS to the same number.

A few other thoughts:

- We don't suport intel 18 any more, please try to use at least intel 19
when compiling DFTB+

- The DftbPlusUtils.cmake file is useless for judging what you did, as
it does not contain any compiler related settings.

- You should read the CMake configuration output, where DFTB+ reports
which toolchain file it used (e.g. intel.cmake, gnu.cmake, etc.) and
which compiler flags it used.