[DFTB-Plus-User] How DFTB+ manages atomic charges?

Bálint Aradi aradi at uni-bremen.de
Thu Nov 17 07:54:06 CET 2022

Dear Giacomo,

this not DFTB related, but is common for all DFT approaches: DFT(B)
methods tend to delocalize charges. You have one common Fermi level in
the system, and if you have degenerated (or quasi-degenerated) states,
such as likely the atomic level of the N atom and the VBM of your
surface, charge will be distributed between them, independently, how far
they are spatially from each other.

Charge transfer reactions are usually calculated using range separated
functionals (which you have in DFTB as well). Alternatively, one can
also enforce a charge distribution via constraint DFT, but we don't have
constrained DFTB in the official version yet.