[DFTB-Plus-User] Scalapack error in MD run

Bálint Aradi aradi at uni-bremen.de
Mon Jul 25 11:09:00 CEST 2022

Dear Luca,

It may be a ScaLAPACK issue as well. A few notes on this:

- depending on the size of your Hamiltonian, 64 cores may be a lot (the
DFTB Hamiltonian is very small compared to typical DFT Hamiltonians),
not givin you any speed advantage over a lower number of cores.

- You could try to use the ELPA solver, as it does not depend on
ScaLAPACK and may be more stable.

- did you try to start from the crashing geometry? If yes, does it work
(at least for a further few 100 of steps)? In that case, it would be
likely a ScaLAPACK or MPI problem, where something piles up during the
iterations and crashes at some point. You could try ELPA or a different
MPI framework.