[DFTB-Plus-User] DFTB+ incorrect density in MD for water

Bálint Aradi aradi at uni-bremen.de
Fri Jul 1 15:50:19 CEST 2022

Dear Luca,

sorry, indeed, your previous post apparently went done between other
threads. In that case, it is OK to re-post, for sure. And your post was
definitely as specific as it can be. :-)

I am not an MD and water expert, but here a few comments, which may help
you, nevertheless.

* When using the 3ob set, make sure to use HCorrection / Damping and
ThirdOrderFull options.

* The Berendsen-barostat we have implemented is known for fluctuating a
lot, but I have no clue, how severe it would be with water and which
time scale to look for (maybe somebody more expert in MD can comment on
that).

* I think, dispersion may indeed be important.

* Last, not least, the water description with the DFTB Hamiltonian is
not really wonderful, mostly due to the missing multipoles in the model.
So, it may sense, as done in

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/jp1010555

to get the water box initial geometry from somewhere else, and do NVT
afterwards.

* Depending, what you are after, you could also test the xTB Hamiltonian
in DFTB+.