[DFTB-Plus-User] Atomic Forces at every step and Potential Energy

Bálint Aradi aradi at uni-bremen.de
Tue Jun 14 15:57:35 CEST 2022

Dear Oreoluwa,

Probably you compiled the wrong version of the code. Follow these steps
to get the right version:

git clone https://github.com/aradi/dftbplus
cd dftbplus
git checkout mdForces

When I compile this version with the usual steps:

mkdir _build
cd _build
FC=gfortran CC=gcc cmake ..
make -j

I obtain a dftb+ version, which, when run for the md/H3 test case (in
test/app/dftb+/md/H3), produces an md.out file with the forces in it:

MD step: 0
Potential Energy:                   -0.5445941169 H          -14.8192 eV
MD Kinetic Energy:                   0.0025950468 H            0.0706 eV
Total MD Energy:                    -0.5419990701 H          -14.7485 eV
MD Temperature:                      0.0008650156 au         273.1500 K
Force on atom #1 [au]:  -7.1970518908E-02  -1.5781891282E-01
-0.0000000000E+00
Force on atom #2 [au]:   1.9782104650E-02  -4.1916247087E-04
-0.0000000000E+00
Force on atom #3 [au]:   5.2188414259E-02   1.5823807530E-01
-0.0000000000E+00
MD step: 1
Potential Energy:                   -0.5458348287 H          -14.8529 eV
MD Kinetic Energy:                   0.0038315383 H            0.1043 eV
Total MD Energy:                    -0.5420032904 H          -14.7487 eV
MD Temperature:                      0.0012771794 au         403.3009 K
Force on atom #1 [au]:  -6.8858940425E-02  -1.5332931548E-01
-8.0921107091E-04
Force on atom #2 [au]:   1.7544677250E-02   3.8327724362E-04
6.2354663951E-05
Force on atom #3 [au]:   5.1314263174E-02   1.5294603824E-01
7.4685640696E-04