[DFTB-Plus-User] Clarification on warnings requested

Benjamin Hourahine benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
Fri May 20 00:43:59 CEST 2022

Hello Sebastiaan,

Changes in the dipole moment are well defined in this case, but not the absolute value.

The warnings are coming from different physical effects:

For electrically charged systems, the total dipole moment depends on the origin of the coordinate system. You could impose a convention, such as placing the centre of charge at the origin.

For periodic systems, again changes in origin change the value, but this also applies to neutral systems. Again differences (modulo transfers by lattice vectors, see for example https://doi.org/10.1103/RevModPhys.66.899) are well defined.

Regards

Ben

       Dr. B. Hourahine, SUPA, Department of Physics,
     University of Strathclyde, John Anderson Building,
             107 Rottenrow, Glasgow G4 0NG, UK.
     +44 141 548 2325, benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk

2013/4 THE Awards Entrepreneurial University of the Year
       2012/13 THE Awards UK University of the Year

    The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body,
         registered in Scotland, number SC015263