[DFTB-Plus-User] Correct Way to Run MPI-enabled DFTB+ (Conda Installation)

Ankur Gupta ankur at lbl.gov
Fri Apr 29 21:03:27 CEST 2022

Dear Dr. Aradi,

I am already using the new geometry optimizers. I have tried all three
optimizers available (Rational, LBFGS, FIRE). It seems like the
optimization starts wandering when the max. gradient reaches around
1.00E-03. So, we probably need to decrease the step size when the maximum
gradient is around that value. I am currently working with simple periodic
organic molecules, with only two molecules in a unit cell, so I expect the
optimization to converge within 150 steps.

I have used GFN2-xTB (in the xTB code) for molecular optimizations of large
molecules and found it to be quite robust for a wide variety of cases.
However, since the xTB methods have not been parameterized for periodic
systems, I was wondering if that's the reason for their poor performance in
optimizing periodic systems.

Best,
Ankur