[DFTB-Plus-User] Am I fully optimizing the charges of my structure?

Bálint Aradi aradi at uni-bremen.de
Tue Feb 22 11:19:32 CET 2022

Dear Alathea,

> I changed the angular momentum of oxygen to "p", ran a static relaxation
> of the geometry to get the charges converged to 1e-5 tolerances, and
> then read those charges into a script to generate the band structure.
> Still, I get an error that the SCC does not converge in 1 iteration. I
> have attached the log file and the input script here.

Please note, that in DFTB (as in DFT) the band structure calculation
consists of two steps:

1. Sampling the Brillouin-zone with a good k-point sampling to obtain
the correct density (charges) at the end of a well converged SCF (SCC)
cycle.

2. Use the obtained well converged density to build up the Hamiltonian
and obtain the eigenvalues in any k-points of interest (typically along
high symmetry lines in the BZ) with a **single diagonalization*-
(without SCF/SCC) convergence.

The reason for this procedure is, that the k-points along the
high-symmetry lines typically give a very poor BZ sampling, so even a
converged SCF/SCC won't give you a proper density/charges. This why the
density from the first calculation used and only a single
diagonalization (1 SCF/SCC step) is made.

Therefore, you don't have to reach SCC convergence in the 2nd
calculation. See also the corresponding chapter of DFTB+ recipes:

https://dftbplus-recipes.readthedocs.io/en/latest/basics/bandstruct.html