[DFTB-Plus-User] How to Remove Imaginary Frequencies in DFTB+

Benjamin Hourahine benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
Wed Dec 22 13:49:39 CET 2021

Hello Ranajit,

There is an option to project out translational and (if non-periodic) rotational components of the hessian, which should remove most of the usual cause of imaginary modes. Look for RemoveTranslation and RemoveRotation keywords in the manual. Also, you might want to relax the geometry with tighter tolerances than the default settings.

We will fix the formatting for the xyz files in the next release, but in the meantime a quick way to process these files to add space is by replacing "-" by " -" in the files with a script. A one line perl command would be

perl -i.bak -p -e "s/-/ -/g" file.xyz

Regards

Ben

       Dr. B. Hourahine, SUPA, Department of Physics,
     University of Strathclyde, John Anderson Building,
             107 Rottenrow, Glasgow G4 0NG, UK.
     +44 141 548 2325, benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk

2013/4 THE Awards Entrepreneurial University of the Year
       2012/13 THE Awards UK University of the Year

    The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body,
         registered in Scotland, number SC015263