[DFTB-Plus-User] Energy difference between DFTB3 or SCC-DFTB with HF or CCSD(T)

Bálint Aradi aradi at uni-bremen.de
Tue Sep 14 11:24:36 CEST 2021

Dear Prasanta,

your are missing the fact, that different methods attribute different
energies to the isolated atoms, therefore, the reference energy in the
calculations is different. More comparable are formation and
dissociation energies, e.g.

E = E_tot - sum_i mu_i n_i

where the sum runs over the atom types in the system, n_i is the number
of atoms of a given type in the system and mu_i is either the energy of
the isolated atom (dissociation energy) or the atom in its standard
state (formation energy). In energy differences between different
configurations of the same system the 2nd term cancels, so those can be
also compared between methods.