[DFTB-Plus-User] Queries about the SCCTolerance and MaxSCCIterations

rsaha at icredd.hokudai.ac.jp rsaha at icredd.hokudai.ac.jp
Thu Aug 26 12:16:24 CEST 2021

Hello All,

I am using DFTB+ for a few months. I am using this software optimisation
as well as MD. I have a few queries about the SCC iterations.

For optimisation, I have used SCCTolerance = 1e-6 and MaxSCCIterations =
500. The geometry and SCC converged well for optimisation process.
For MD, these same parameters have been used and it worked well this far,
 though the time taken is very large. Recently, I am facing a problem in
generating the tragectory. The SCC is not converging after few steps in
the MD.

After searching in the web, I found (https://mailman.zfn.uni-bremen.de/pipermail/dftb-plus-user/2020/003310.html)
 a solution as lowering the SCCTolerance and adding ForceEvaluation.
Currently, I am doing MD with, SCCTolerance = 1e-3 and MaxSCCIterations
= 200 and also ForceEvaluation = Dynamics (in Driver section).

(1) I do not know, is this parameters are correct to use for MD?
(2) What values of the SCCTolerance and MaxSCCIterations can be used?
How much lower values can be used? How to get the idea of the
SCCTolerance and MaxSCCIterations that will be better for MD (or
optimisation)?

If anyone can comment or have any suggestion, please write to me. I will
be happy to hear from you.

Thank you for your time.

Regards
Ranajit