[DFTB-Plus-User] DFTB+U

Bálint Aradi aradi at uni-bremen.de
Wed Mar 10 10:43:30 CET 2021

Dear Toufik,

The +U correction in DFTB+ is absolutely analogous to the "usual" +U
corrections in DFT codes, so your possibilities are similar. Whether the
gap size is the best quantity to look at, when you choose the UJ
constant, is up to your judgement, there are various ways for
determining such values. I'd suggest to consult the DFT literature about
this, as this is not DFTB-specific.

The only thing to note is, that according to my experience (due to the
localization caused by the compressed basis), the UJ-values in DFTB are
usually smaller than corresponding values in ab initio DFT calculations.
That means, similar shifts in energy levels can be achieved with smaller
UJ-values.