[DFTB-Plus-User] R: visualisation of potential profile

Alessandro Pecchia alessandro.pecchia at cnr.it
Sun Nov 29 10:50:37 CET 2020

Hi Aicha,

I think there is a source of confusion because there are two alternative codes for the same purpose.

One is a fortran code that should be found in the same place as buildwire.

This works as:

makecube potential.dat [-r refpot] [-b boxfile xfile yfile zfile]

It is enough to run:

$ makecube potential.dat

Make sure all the files box3d.dat and Xvector.dat, … are present in the folder with potential.dat.

-r refpot is useful to subtract an equilibrium potential. E.g., first run an equilibrium calculation then copy potential.dat into –say- potential0.dat and then

$makecube potential.dat –r potential0.dat

This should give the difference V-V0, useful to see relative changes due to the applied bias.

The other makecube is a python code that should do the same job but it has a different user interface.

This is the executable invoked in your case. It does work in a similar way:

$makecube potential.dat potential.cube

If you use something like paraview or visit to visualize, you can also output to vtk format.

I used to display the cube files with jmol.

For this also look in tools/misc/transport/README.jmol

This shows how to import a colormap and plot the potential on a plane cutting the box.

Look also at jmol script reference page for this:

https://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/docs/?ver=14.29#isosurface

In fact I see that recent versions of jmol have many more plotting options than what I used.

I hope this helps.

Alex