[DFTB-Plus-User] Problems with supercell phonons calculation

Bálint Aradi aradi at uni-bremen.de
Fri May 22 16:04:47 CEST 2020

Dear Alessandro,

A few thoughts:

- When you optimize the molecule in the original supercell, do you also
allow the cell to relax? Otherwise you may still have stress in the
system, which has not be relaxed out. However, since you have only 1
molecule per supercell, there is no way to reduce the stress with fixed
lattice vectors. (If one molecule moves within the cell, all its
periodic images will move as well, keeping the distance between the
constant...)

- If the simple unit cell has been relaxed properly, there should be no
relaxations in the repeated cell at all, especially if the k-point
samplings are identical (in the sense, that considering the k-point
folding the enlarged supercell generates the same k-points as you have
used in the original cell.)

- I do not understand the reasoning about the differences when using
ShowFoldedCoords with Yes or No. If you have periodicity, folding the
coordinates should have no effect on any results. If you repeat the
supercell endlessly (which the periodic boundary conditions do), you
would get exactly the same system, whether you used the folded or
unfolded-coordinates.