[DFTB-Plus-User] Charge in dftb+ calculations

Mat Toliday djlets2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 12:09:53 CET 2020

Anshu,
If the molecules are a reasonable distance from each other (much more than the sum of the two closest atoms covalent radii) then I doubt you would see charge transfer using DFTB. The tight-binding nature of DFTB assumes that the electrons stay close to their respective nuclei. DFTB will not produce van der Walls forces by itself, you need to use the D3 package to provide any London dispersion based forces that occur, because it is a correlation effect. Correlation usually requires Moller-Plesset perturbation theory, coupled-cluster or some other form of post-Hartree-Fock type calculation.
I hope this helps,
Mat