[DFTB-Plus-User] performance on ryzen cpus

Karol Strutynski strutynski.karol at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 16:08:17 CET 2018

--
Karol Strutyński
CICECO - Aveiro Institute of Materials
Department of Chemistry
University of Aveiro
Office 29.3.25
3810-193, Aveiro, PORTUGAL
Phone: +48 739259476
Mail: strutynski.karol at gmail.com, skarol at ua.pt
ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-8733-9012

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 at 18:54, Ben Hourahine
<benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk> wrote:

> There are reports that OpenBLAS is faster than MKL on AMD, for example:
>
> https://discourse.julialang.org/t/openblas-is-faster-than-intel-mkl-on-amd-hardware-ryzen/8033

My test with OpenBLAS provided strange results.
It is worse than intel cpu, but sometimes slightly better than
ifort+mkl on ryzen cpu for the systems I checked (up to 1500 atoms).
The worrying part is that gcc+OpenBLAS is less predictable - using
more cores is sometimes slower. This was not the case in other
compilations, and I choose test systems large enough to have and
effect.

Overall for the time being ifort+mkl seem to be the way to go, at
least safer because of consistency with number of processes used.

It might be something unrelated to DFTB+, I tested another tight
binding program and it was also slower on EPYC machine.