[DFTB-Plus-User] performance on ryzen cpus

Karol Strutynski strutynski.karol at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 18:53:32 CET 2018

Hello,
My group have a machines with ryzen EPYC processors. I noticed that
the performance of DFTB+ (version 18.2) is much worse than on
equivalent intel cpu.
I tried various compilers (gcc , ifort, aocc flang) with variation of flags.
The best I got was using intel 2018 compiler with "-O3 -qopenmp -ip
-standard-semantics -heap-arrays 10 -axAVX  -xHost -fast" flags.
The results are usually the same - intel cpu is much faster than EPYC,
in extreme cases the times are almost three times larger.

The other programs compiled on the ryzen present performance similar
to intel machine.

It is quite possible I missed something during optimization. Does
anybody have experience with running dftb+ on amd based machines?

Best Regards,
--
Karol StrutyƄski
CICECO - Aveiro Institute of Materials