[DFTB-Plus-User] pipek-mezey localization

Ben Hourahine benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
Wed Nov 7 18:13:08 CET 2018

Hello James,

The Pipek-Mezey localisation is applied to generalized eigenstates
(non-orthogonal basis functions), which start out with the property

c_i S_ij c_j = delta_ij

and this is retained by the resulting localised states.

Wannier functions are not always necessarily orthogonal (for example
they can become more localised if the restriction is lifted).

Regards

Ben

On 07/11/2018 15:54, James A Charles wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I had a quick question about the Pipek-Mezey localization in DFTB+. I
> am familiar with Wannier localization like in Wannier90. This is a
> localization that yields orthogonal basis functions.
>
> Should pipek-mezey yield orthogonal basis functions?
>

> Thanks,
>
> JamesĀ

      Dr. B. Hourahine, SUPA, Department of Physics,
    University of Strathclyde, John Anderson Building,
            107 Rottenrow, Glasgow G4 0NG, UK.
    +44 141 548 2325, benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk

2013/4 THE Awards Entrepreneurial University of the Year
      2012/13 THE Awards UK University of the Year

   The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body,
        registered in Scotland, number SC015263