[DFTB-Plus-User] problems with a single point calculation

natalia bedoya bedoyamartinez at tugraz.at
Fri Jun 15 11:07:46 CEST 2018

Dear All,

We are facing a particular problem trying to do a single point calculation.

 From a relaxed structure we do a very tiny displacement of one single
atom in the system (0.01 Angstoms), and submit a single point
calculation to get the forces  on the atoms caused by the displacement.
   The calculation starts correctly but after the third step (sometimes
second or first) during the SC loop the calculation gets stuck. The
calculation does not die, but does not produce either any more data. We
basically have to kill it because there is no outcome.

We use very often this approach in order to calculate the phonon
spectrum from finite differences, and  it is the first time we get this
kind of problem. What is curious is that for other displacements every
thing works correctly. Moreover, depending on the amplitude of the
displacement the problem appears for different displacements (i.e. for
configurations for which another atom is displaced).

We have try to start a relaxation calculation by using one of the
problematic configurations and we get the same problem.

Has somebody ever experienced something similar?

  We  appreciate any idea to overcome the problem!

Thanks!

Regards,

Natalia

--