[DFTB-Plus-User] DFTB-Plus-User Digest, Vol 45, Issue 27

Ben Hourahine benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
Thu Jun 7 01:40:09 CEST 2018

Hello Fahd,

sorry for the delay in replying.

The phase DFTB+ uses for k-points is a slightly different convention
from the standard Bloch function choice.

Conventional block waves : exp( i k \dot x) where x is the position in
space.

DFTB+ : exp( i k \dot R) where R is the lattice vector to the unit cell
containing point x (this choice is fairly common in electronic structure
codes, as its slightly faster to evaluate).

The second case gives the same results for example when calculating the
density and most other properties (but isn't suitable for example when
evaluating the Berry phase of wave functions).

1) If the k-point is real, any of the valid eigenvectors (or some
subset) can be multiplied by factors of -1 and are still valid. Moving
to a complex k-point, similarly the vectors can be multiplied random
complex phases of unit magnitude. Even worse, for degenerate eigenvalues
any unitary transformation within that sub-space is also a valid set of
eigenvectors.

Adding extra constraints on the eigenvectors can fix the phases, but
there is not a standard convention for this (DFTB+ doesn't do this since
the phase choice doesn't effect standard calculated properties and costs
some computational time to set up).

2) It is random, depending on the numerical behaviour and implementation
of the eigensolver. The individual k-points are calculated separately,
so in general have ill-defined different relative phases. It is possible
to set the phases of the eigenstates between two k-points by maximally
aligning their spaces. This isn't in the standard code base, but there
is some in-development code in an old branch that can do this if
necessary along a chain of k-points (but is computationally more
expensive than standard ground state calculations).

Regards

Ben