[DFTB-Plus-User] DFTB+ Geometry Relaxation external socket

Ben Hourahine benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
Tue Apr 24 09:44:00 CEST 2018

Hello James,

apologies about the delay in replying. The socket interface is for use
with the external I-Pi code (https://github.com/i-pi/i-pi), which can
relax geometries, but is better known for advanced molecular dynamics
(various forms of path integral, replica exchange, ...). They provide a
few example scripts for DFTB+ (both the dftb_in.hsd and their own
input.xml files). We are currently working on a section for the recipes
document that shows this in use.

DFTB+ can also be used via the ASE software
(https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/ase/), which doesn't use the socket
interface, but instead via disc files.

For the geometry drivers built into DFTB+, did you get a chance to try
the LBFGS optimiser as this might be better for your case?

Regards

Ben

On 17/04/18 02:24, James A Charles wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have been trying to relax ice crystals with DFTB+ and have tried the
> drivers included in DFTB+ without much luck. I was reading through the
> documentation and noticed Socket{} as a driver. What is the purpose of
> this? and is there an example of which external tools this works with?
>

> Thanks,
>
> James

      Dr. B. Hourahine, SUPA, Department of Physics,
    University of Strathclyde, John Anderson Building,
            107 Rottenrow, Glasgow G4 0NG, UK.
    +44 141 548 2325, benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk

2013/4 THE Awards Entrepreneurial University of the Year
      2012/13 THE Awards UK University of the Year

   The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body,
        registered in Scotland, number SC015263