[DFTB-Plus-User] DFTB compiling error

Alessandro Landi alelandi1 at unisa.it
Fri Apr 6 15:20:17 CEST 2018

Dear Bálint,

I tried to follow your advice by updating gcc and gfortran to their
version 7.

However, I still get the following error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -larpack

By the way, if I try to install a previous version of DFTB+ (1.3.0), I
also get these errors:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lf77blas
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcblas
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -latlas

But I did install BLAS, LAPACK and ARPACK, using the following
procedure:

1) For BLAS and LAPACK

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libblas-dev checkinstall

sudo apt-get install libblas-doc checkinstall

sudo apt-get install liblapack-dev checkinstall

sudo apt-get install liblapack-doc checkinstall

2) FOR ARPACK

wget -O - http://www.caam.rice.edu/software/ARPACK/SRC/arpack96.tar.gz |
tar xzvf -

wget -O - http://www.caam.rice.edu/software/ARPACK/SRC/patch.tar.gz |
tar xzvf -

cd ARPACK

make FC=gfortran FFLAGS= MAKE=/usr/bin/make
ARPACKLIB=$HOME/ARPACK/libarpack.a lib

And then I made a symbolic link to libarpack.a in /usr/bin

Any chance you can explain me what is the problem here? Should I install
the libraries in a different way?

Best regards,

Alessandro