[DFTB-Plus-User] xyz position file not updated with MD run

Ben Hourahine benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
Mon May 8 15:22:06 CEST 2017

Hello Muhammad,

did the system superheat in the crystalline phase instead of melting, or
not warm up when being thermostated?

When I tested your input, I got a 64 atom Si cell to melt by: 1)
removing an atom to make a nucleation centre and 2) increasing the
temperature in the final phase (~3500 K seemed to be sufficient). The
thermostat settings then looked like:

    Thermostat = NoseHoover {
        Temperature [Kelvin] = TemperatureProfile {
            constant    1    0.0
            linear   1500 3500.0
            constant 2000 3500.0
        }
        CouplingStrength[cm^-1] = 600
        AdaptFillingTemp = Yes
    }

A few things that might be worth adjusting in the input are below:

CouplingStrength[cm^-1] = 600

# This should be similar to the Debye frequency, but seems robust

MaxAngularMomentum = {

    Si = "p"

    # probably the intended choice for that parameter set, but check.
Oddly, using

    # the PBC parameters instead give a noticeably faster run time for me.

}

SCC = No

# probably can avoid the SCC cost in this case as charge transfer is small

Also, the gamma point sampling might be a little small (it depends on
your geometry).

Regards

Ben