[DFTB-Plus-User] Dear dftb+ developers, possible to include 3-center integral in the current scheme ?

Peter Yen peter308 at gmail.com
Tue May 2 07:19:08 CEST 2017

Dear Mr. Hourahine
Thank you for your reply, it contains many useful information for me.
These days i have done some reading about the topics you mentioned.
I now learned that the potential at a third atom  will have
cancellation with the core-electron potential ( non-local peudopotential)
at this third atom. This is an ansatz that was assumed by the developers
of dftb in the early years. I was wondering, under any circumstances will
this ansatz breakdown and so this error cancellation will no longer be
valid ?
For example, a heavier material like gold will have more core electrons
 and this larger core orbital potential might not be able to have the same
error cancellation as in a lighter atom such as in Carbon atom. Or a
trigonal
 lattice suggests that a 3-center interaction might be important in evaluating

the band structure energy. (From moments theorem, a electron hopping
back and forth contributes to second moment of the local density of state,
and a three loop hop or third moment will become dominant in a trigonal
lattice and therefore contribute significantly to the band structure energy,
 which indicates that three center integral is no longer negligible in such
case. Can you and others please provide some suggestion to me on this
issue? I was actually having some results of gold clusters that seems quite
strange to me. Thank you very much and i apologize for my late reply. I
was trying to understand the content you post in the mail these days.

                                                 With Best Regards, Peter