[DFTB-Plus-User] On parallel version of DFTB+

Jacek Jakowski jjakowski at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 02:26:15 CEST 2016

Most likely you don't have enough memory to fit the 26,000 atoms  on
your computer, even if   DFTB+ can handle it.   Assuming that  your
26k atoms are carbons (or similar) you need 80GB   to fit a single
matrix (100kbasis) in memory and much more (like 10 times)  for a real
calculations.
But then  if this fits into  your memory, then  100k matrices on 4000
cores takes about 10 hours for a  single diagonalization (real case).
It would  probably  took  something like a month  to do SCF, and
about half  a year for  a few  MD steps.

I suggest  that you decrease  the size of cell so that your matrices
are below  32,000.

Jacek