[DFTB-Plus-User] about total energy

Ben Hourahine benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
Mon Aug 1 23:41:43 CEST 2016

Hello Cuihong,

The total energy is the sum of the electronic and repulsive potential
energies (and dispersion if present). The Mermin free energy includes
the electronic entropy, but no other contributions. The Helmholtz energy
(printed out for non-zero pressure) is the Mermin energy plus pV.

To get an estimate of the Gibbs free energy, methods such as umbrella
sampling, thermodynamic integration, harmonic approximations or REMD are
required. These are not currently supported within DFTB+, but can be
accessed via some of the codes that can externally drive DFTB+. These
include i-Pi (an interface will be available in the 1.3 DFTB+ release)
or ASE.

Regards

Ben