[DFTB-Plus-User] CNT Gate Settings

Gabriele Penazzi penazzi at uni-bremen.de
Fri Dec 11 17:57:21 CET 2015

Hi George,

there's two things I am not sure I get, before trying to comment.
Is your CNT semiconducting or you have some kind of virtual doping? I am
not sure I understand if you get what you expect for the Ids/Vg curve
because I am not sure what to expect. I see it behaves kind of an n-like
depletion, is it expected?

Second, the Vgs get very large, in general the larger the potential the
bigger the system will need to be. When you set a transport set up with
Green's function you generally assume that you reach a bulk-like
potential and charge distribution at the electrode region. If you have
large bias/gate voltages you easily need a fairly large system or a
buffer with good screening properties. Are you checking if the
electrostatics looks physically sound during your calculations?

There's some an old work on CNT-FET (doi  10.1109/TNANO.2006.886782),
maybe you know it already but it can help you to see some published
results.

Gabriele

On 12/10/2015 11:49 PM, George D Kubas wrote:

> I have ran a 7 unit cell long 8,0 CNT which has resulted in an okay
> drain current versus gate voltage curve. I am currently running
> transport calculations on an 8,0 CNT that is 13 unit cells long, but
> there seems to be spikes in different sections of the drain current
> vs. gate voltage curve. I thought that maybe the gate dimensions I am
> using for the longer tube are poor, so I have been making curves for
> different gate lengths in the transport direction . I still am seeing
> spikes in the current at some gate voltages. So does anyone have any
> advice on gate dimensions or even about another setting that I may
> have incorrectly used in the device file? I have attached the device
> file, the IV curve for the 7 unit cell long tube as a reference, and
> the IV curves for two different gate lengths in the transport
> direction for the 13 unit cell long tube. Thank you for your time and
> help.
>

> George D. Kubas
> Materials Science PhD. Candidate
> Youngstown State University