[DFTB-Plus-User] external electric field for periodic systems

Visikovskiy Anton anton_v at nucl.kyushu-u.ac.jp
Wed Aug 19 04:10:34 CEST 2015

Dear all,

I study graphene and graphene nanoribbon related materials and would
like to use DFTB+ for IR and Raman spectra simulation via Fourier
transform of time-correlation functions (FT-TCF), which basically
involves finite temperature MD simulation with accumulation of data on
such parameters as dipole moment and polarizability. Well, it is pretty
much straight forward with the former one, as I can just extract
Mulliken charges from program output files at each time step and
calculate the total dipole. It is a bit trickier with polarizability.
According to this paper - S. Kaminski et al., J. Chem. Theory Comput 6
(2010) 1240, it is possible to extract components of polarizability
tensor by calculating system's total energy second derivatives with
respect to electric filed components by finite difference method. So,
basically I have to calculate the energies of the system with a given
atomic structure applying some external electric field in different
direction. As far as I understood from the manual of DFTB+ 1.2 the
external field cannot be applied for periodic systems in the direction
of periodicity due to saw-tooth shape of the potential. So, is there any
workaround this problem using DFTB+ code, so I could calculate energy
response of the system to arbitrary oriented external field for periodic
systems such as graphene sheet?

Best regards,
Anton Visikovskiy.