[DFTB-Plus-User] A MD process including three molecules has failed

Ben Hourahine benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
Fri May 22 14:15:22 CEST 2015

Dear Zhang,

Other than reducing the time for the MD step (1 fs is potentially too
long for H containing systems, but as with all numerical parameters,
test the effect) and pre-relaxing the structure at the DFTB level, the
input seems OK (you may not want to set the random number seed for a
repeatable choice). I've briefly tried your MD run using a time step of
0.1 fs (this time step still would give energy drifts of a few meV for
NVE simulations in the ps range) and used a DFTB relaxed geometry. I
also find that the cluster dissociates after ~0.25 ps .

It is possible that the DFTB3 model might be more accurate for this case
(damped H related interactions and 3rd order chemical hardness terms,
see the manual for details). Alternatively, might this behaviour be for
a physical reason? I'm not an atmospheric chemist, but would ask
questions like: is this actually a bound system or a transient species
at 200 K? If so, is the thermal transfer rate to the environment and
thermal fluctuations setting the lifetime of this cluster? Should it be
a charged cluster instead of a neutral system?

Regards

Ben

--
      Dr. B. Hourahine, SUPA, Department of Physics,
    University of Strathclyde, John Anderson Building,
    +44 141 548 2325, benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk

2013/4 THE Awards Entrepreneurial University of the Year
      2012/13 THE Awards UK University of the Year

   The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body,
        registered in Scotland, number SC015263