[DFTB-Plus-User] How to generate s-k files?

Michael Foster foster362 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 22:09:50 CEST 2015

I have a related question involving s-k files. Ideally, I would like to
model a system containing Zn, C, H, N,  and O on a TiO2 surface.
Slater-Koster files exist for all interactions except for Zn-Ti; however,
in my system the Zn and Ti atoms are well separated. Therefore, it would
seem reasonable to neglect these interactions; is there a way to do this in
DFTB+? Can I create a generic s-k file with zeros in it or something like
that and name it Zn-Ti.skf?

Another related question. Suppose you would like to model a system
containing many porphyrins with different metals within the porphyrin ring
for which no s-k files exist. Would it be relatively straight forward to
create s-k files for a specific system? I know great care and considerable
time is put into creating the mio and 3ob parameters so that they work for
a diversity of systems. But if I only want to perform calculations on a
specific system, such a porphyrin with Pd in it, one would think that you
could extract the relevant information from a simple DFT calculation. Any
thoughts?

Thanks in advance for a comments