[DFTB-Plus-User] DFTB-NEGF; SCC convergence with bias

Gabriele Penazzi penazzi at uni-bremen.de
Thu Mar 12 09:06:43 CET 2015

On 03/11/2015 11:47 PM, Michael Foster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to calculate the current (I) as a function of applied bias
> (V) for various molecules attached to metallic CNTs (currently working
> with 10,10); however, I'm having issues with SCC convergence. The
> system(s) converge no problem without a applied bias; however, when I
> apply a bias (e.g. 0.2 V for a ideal 10,10-CNT) the SCC will not
> converge. Attached is my dftb_pin.hsd file for a ideal 10,10-CNT with
> 0.2 V bias

Hi Mike,

convergence is often tricky. You can try the following:

1) Use smaller bias steps. Sometimes at a specific bias there may be
some physical reason for missing convergence (for example, a level
crosses the Fermi level) and you need to especially refine bias points
there around. I see you are reading the charge from previous
calculation, this is good.

2) Use finite temperature. This helps if a level needs to convergence to
a fractional occupation value.

3) Try smaller mixing parameters (e.g. 0.05).

Best,
Gabriele

> Thanks in advance for any help,
> Mike