[DFTB-Plus-User] NEGF 12,0 Nanotube

Gabriele Penazzi penazzi at uni-bremen.de
Tue Mar 3 09:48:51 CET 2015

Hi Mike,

I gave a deeper look and the result you get is correct.

The electron-hole symmetry, as I said, is lost at higher energy as it is
removed by interactions beyond nearest-neighbor. Apparently it is
correct also that it is lost already on the first sub-band. I found a
band-structure calculated with DFT here
http://www.theochem.unito.it/crystal_tuto/mssc2008_cd/tutorials/nanotube/nanotube.html.
You can see that in valence band you have two bands crossing in Gamma
point below Fermi energy, while in conduction they cross in a higher
k-point, i.e. you expect a "double" step in valence band and two single
steps in conduction, as you see as well. The tunneling curves you've
seen in literature are probably based on an empirical pz hamiltonian.

Regarding the gap, again, the "m-n" rule is derived for a pz nearest
neighbor hamiltonian. For small armchair CNTs it can break and you can
have a small gap. See for example this paper
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jz100889u , I've run a calculation
with the "mio" set from dftb.org and I've a 0.07 eV gap, which is
somewhat larger than the DFT-B3LYP result but we're speaking about
differences of 20-30 meV, which are hard to catch.

Long story short, it is more meaningful to compare the DFTB result with
DFT rather than with the pz empirical result. The smaller the CNT, the
larger the differences.

Best,
Gabriele

phone: +49 (0) 421 218 62337