[DFTB-Plus-User] SCC convergence and KPointsAndWeights

Benjamin Hourahine benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
Sat Jul 19 02:10:11 CEST 2014

Hello Xiaobao Zhang,

the electronic temperature will effect the results if it is on the scale of any electronic excitations of the system (the band-gap for insulators for example).  It is safer to use the same temperature as the molecular dynamics temperature, and then test the sensitivity of the results to changing that single parameter.

I'm interested why you are having convergence problems for a CNT - for many problems non-scc DFTB is sufficient for a pure C system. Have you optimised the structure before starting the MD, since poor convergence may be a symptom of a very distorted geometry?

The gamma point sampling of the k-points probably are not sufficient, unless this is an insulating tube with a sufficiently large repeating unit cell. This may also be part of the reason for the poor convergence, particularly for a metallic tube. As always you should test the convergence of results with respect to these parameters.

Regards

Ben

       Dr. B. Hourahine, SUPA, Department of Physics,
     University of Strathclyde, John Anderson Building,
             107 Rottenrow, Glasgow G4 0NG, UK.
     +44 141 548 2325, benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk

2013/4 THE Awards Entrepreneurial University of the Year
       2012/13 THE Awards UK University of the Year

    The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body,
         registered in Scotland, number SC015263