[DFTB-Plus-User] Correctness of SCC convergence in DFT+NEGF

Gabriele Penazzi gabriele.penazzi at bccms.uni-bremen.de
Fri Jun 20 18:18:49 CEST 2014

Hi Anusha,

the Poisson box may indeed play a very important role in the convergence
path.

When everything is properly setup, equilibrium calculation are very
often similar to a periodic dftb+ calculation, an SCC cicle of 14 steps
is fine (a bit fast, even).
Hundreds of steps is definitely long and I would be suspicious as well.
Also the SCC error gets very large.

My experience is that a small Poisson box (along any direction) can be
responsible for it. The mixer is quite robust, therefore I observed that
with a small Poisson box you can still reach convergence to the exact
solution but with very long and weird SCC steps. I suggest you to check
that, in case of non-periodic calculation, you have enough vacuum around
the device (if you can reach it computationally, a couple of nm on each
side for each direction). The minimal grid step default is usually fine,
at worst try to reduce it slightly (0.3).

I rarely observed convergence to the trivial zero solution, i.e. all the
electrons are shot away. I suggest you to check the detailed.out and
verify that the charge population is reasonable.

Hope this helps
Gabriele