[DFTB-Plus-User] SCC does not converge

Bálint Aradi balint.aradi at bccms.uni-bremen.de
Mon Apr 21 12:02:10 CEST 2014

Dear Yang,

 > I always encounter the problem that the scc dos not converge for more
> than 800 steps. For a very simple case like a bare edge (9,0) carbon
> nanotube, when I try to relax the structure it never converged. Could
> anyone help me with that?

As you do not provide much details, hard to say what the problem is. As
Argo Nurbawono already pointed out, setting an electronic temperature
may help, especially when your system is metallic, as for those systems
you have to use a finite filling temperature. You may play with the
different filling functions. Probably Fermi is good enough, although for
metals the Methessel-Paxton scheme is often used as well.

http://www.bccms.uni-bremen.de/cms/people/b_aradi/